Appetizers and Hors d’oeuvres are important menu segments all 12 months of the year, but they are most vital to driving restaurant and catering profits through December and January.
Groups of all sizes and budgets are looking to get out together over the holidays and they are usually conditioned to want to order some starters before their meal. Here are a few reasons to increase your appetizer and hors d’oeuvres options for the months of December, January and February.
- Impulse—Whether it’s a catered event that you planned and have on the books or just a large group that made a reservation the same day, appetizers are usually an impulse buy. Having a few additional options on the regular menu and on the catering menu is always a good idea through Valentine’s Day.
- Convenience—Not all appetizers and hors d’oeuvres need to be scratch made in your kitchen. Performance Foodservice has a tremendous line of value added options under our Entice® appetizer line. With options spanning from crab cakes and spanakopita to on-trend options like candied apple pork belly and Brussels sprouts bites, you're sure to find an option for your operation. These options have handmade quality and appeal without the time and labor investment that goes into scratch making hors d’oeuvres.
- Profit—The appetizer and hors d’oeuvres segment is hugely profitable for restaurant and caterers. Selling these items by the piece is the best way to sell them for the optimal amount of profit.
- Opportunities—Having a robust hors d’oeuvres menu opens your business up to more opportunities to earn holiday business. Many groups and organizations have minimal budgets for holiday gatherings. A strong hors d’oeuvres selection gives people the option to have a “hors d’oeuvres” or “cocktail” party. These types of functions offer a lot of perceived value to your customers and their guests.
- Offsite Options—Appetizers and hors d’oeuvres usually travel very well in to-go packaging. This offers another revenue stream for your business and minimizes your expense. If you offer hors d’oeuvres packages to-go on trays or in disposable packaging, it enhances your revenue and minimizes your expense because you won't have to travel to or staff an offsite fully catered event! And, it provides another option to customers who want to enjoy your creations during the holiday season, but who don't have the budget for full catering.