Takeout and Delivery Remain Safe Modes of Foodservice
We understand - it’s totally normal to be concerned with health safety in this current climate. Handwashing and social distancing are crucial methods keeping us all on the safe side. Many people have questions related to food as well, so it’s important to understand that takeout and delivery are considered safe food service options, while the industry overall is maintaining the highest health standards in packaging and preparation. Here are a few facts that should provide comfort when it comes to ordering takeout or delivery:
- The CDC, FDA, and USDA are not aware of ANY reports that say COVID-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging*.
- There is no indication that takeout or delivery increases exposure to illness.
- The risk of COVID-19 transfer from touching food or packaging exposed to the virus is believed to be low.
- Food delivery actually helps maintain social distancing, reducing the touch points between preparation and serving.
- Many delivery services have no touch/no interaction options.
- COVID-19 is a respiratory illness, and is not considered a gastrointestinal (stomach) virus**.
The health and safety of employees and customers is of paramount importance to the restaurant industry. Here are some steps the industry is taking to ensure your continued well-being:
- The increase of employee distancing. When possible, establishments have fewer employees working any given shift, increasing proper distancing.
- Employee hygiene practices and sanitation are of the utmost importance. Washing surfaces, utensils, and of course, hands are essential.
- Restaurants are following the 4 key steps of food safety: clean, separate, cook, and chill.
- Food facilities are required to use EPA-registered sanitizer products. Many viruses that cause human illness, like COVID-19, are easy to kill using proper disinfectants.
*Check the CDC and FDA websites for additional information and recommendations.
**Consult a medical care professional for your personal medical needs