Consumers are rapidly ordering drinks to go along with takeout meals. Use these ideas to stir up extra beverage sales.
In the current takeout landscape, consumers are clamoring for even more beverage options. This encompasses traditional offerings such as hot/iced coffee and tea, as well as specialty items including espresso-based drinks, juices and juice blends, signature lemonade, smoothies, milkshakes, hot cocoa, and even cocktails, beer, and wine. Look beyond standard fountain beverages and canned or bottled water, to offer something that makes your operation unique. Here are some tips to get the takeout drinks flowing:
- Make sure that takeout packaging for beverages is sturdy and leak proof, as well as temperature-appropriate; drink-cup carriers and/or separate, handled bags for beverages are desirable.
- Offer enticing options that will encourage sales, such as flavored lemonade, specialty coffee and tea, hot cocoa, milkshakes, cocktails, beer, and wine.
- Include beverage selections on takeout menus and online order forms.
- If possible, pour and package beverages when the customer arrives for pickup, in order to hold optimal temperature and avoid dilution of iced beverages.
- Train service staff to ask about a beverage when taking a takeout order or presenting it for pick-up; better yet, have them suggest a specific beverage item in a fun way.
- Consider large-portion formats for iced tea, coffee, and other beverages for groups.
- Have a vibrant and enticing beverage display on-hand for takeout guests.
- Blended beverages like milkshakes and malts, smoothies, and cappuccinos can do double-duty as a dessert.
- Promote beverage specials that coincide with the weather such as refreshing tropical juice and cocktail options during warm weather and cozy specialty coffee or cocoa beverages when it’s still chilly out.
- Remember that many guests are concerned about health and nutrition, so offer better-for-you options such as all-natural juices or iced teas.
- Consumers love to customize; flavor shots, creamers, and other add-ons represent great vehicles for letting patrons make beverages of their own.
- Don’t forget the power of a value-oriented combo price for food plus a beverage.