Wings are one of the most popular handheld foods. With March basketball excitement around the corner let’s look at some fun ways to add a punch of flavor to your wings.
We’ll also explore different ways to cook wings for a standout performance. When it comes to choosing the perfect cooking method, consider showcasing your culinary prowess by offering wings cooked by a few different methods. Flavor bursts can come from marinades, brines, and sauce ingredients, adding layers of taste-bud tingling fun.
This is a great way to add moisture and seasoning to poultry. Using beer, wine, or bourbon will add a great flavor profile to your brine. Aromatic ingredients such as ginger, garlic, and onion, as well as the addition of herbs and spices can also provide more depth. If you love heat, pureeing roasted habanero peppers into a brine will create a foundation of fire. A good brine for two hours or overnight can greatly enhance the taste of your wings.
If you’re looking for an alternative to brining, marinades can be key. Using acid in a marinade, such as citrus or vinegars will add punch, but be careful not to leave the wings in for too long, as it will start to cook the wings, leaving them tough. Thirty to 45 minutes is perfect for a high-acid marinade. In terms of other flavor alternatives, wine, beer, bourbon, and brandy are marinade naturals, and fruit juice is also a great addition. Aromatic vegetables and herbs remain a great natural choice, while spices and hot sauces with the balance of agave or honey can be a nice paring.
Other Exciting Sauce Ingredients
- Za’atar – spice blend from the Middle East featuring a mixture of oregano, sumac, sesame seeds, thyme, and marjoram
- Ras el hanout – Moroccan blend combining a mixture of cumin, sumac, hot paprika, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, mace, allspice, cardamon, peppercorns, fenugreek, and turmeric
- Peri peri – African-based sauce made from spicy bird’s eye chili
- Gochujang – Korean chili paste
- Red curry paste – popular in Thai cuisine, spicier than its green cousin
- Green curry paste – popular in Thai cuisine
Have some fun and explore how poultry is cooked and flavored around the world to create a new and memorable eating experience. Layers of flavors and flavor fusion is always a win.