Country Fried Turkey Waffler
About this Recipe
Here's a new way to serve turkey on your morning menu—batter and fry filets in breading with a hint of fresh thyme. This Southern-inspired brunch option is full of fun flavor combinations, including honey-flavored candied turkey bacon, savory waffles, and a sweet-and-spicy drizzle of Nashville hot honey syrup.
Country Fried Turkey Waffler
- Combine the paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of thyme; blend well and hold on the side.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and the buttermilk and add in half of the seasoning mix from step 1. Blend well and pour the mixture into a 1-gallon freezer bag.
- Place each of the turkey filets between two pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat mallet until ¼-inch thick. Place each of the pounded filets into the freezer bag with the buttermilk mixture. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator (in a bowl—to prevent spillage) to marinate the turkey for 2–3 hours.
- In a 12-inch skillet (cast iron recommended), heat the vegetable oil to 350°F. Add self-rising flour and cornstarch to the remaining seasoning mix from step 1 and blend well. With tongs, remove the turkey filets from the buttermilk mixture and allow the excess liquid to drain off, then place them into the flour mixture and thoroughly coat them (flipping 3–4 times). Shake off the excess flour and carefully place the filets into the hot oil. With tongs, shift the cutlets around in the skillet to cook evenly. Flip the turkey filets after 3–4 minutes and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes, until they’re golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Transfer the cooked filets to a wire rack (on a ½-size sheet pan). Hold warm.
- Use a waffle press to prepare 2 small/medium Belgian waffles. When the waffles are complete, spread them with the whipped butter and top with the Honey Bourbon Peppered Candied Turkey Bacon and the finished fried turkey. Sprinkle the remaining thyme on the turkey and drizzle with the Nashville Hot Honey Syrup.
- 2 tbsp black pepper, ground
- 4 cup Brilliance® Premium Oils Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Burst™ Spices Garlic, Granulated
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 3 Butterball® Turkey Breast Fillet(s)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup flour, self-rising
- 2 slices Honey Bourbon Peppered Candied Turkey Bacon
- Nashville Hot Honey Syrup, drizzle
- Nature's Best Dairy® Butter, whipped
- 1 cup Nature's Best Dairy® Buttermilk
- 1 Nature's Best Dairy® Egg(s)
- 3 tsp Peak Fresh Produce® Thyme, Fresh
- 2 waffles, Belgian
Honey Pepper Turkey Bacon
- Prepare the turkey bacon in the microwave oven, 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove from the microwave; keep the turkey bacon on the same plate. Brush the bacon with honey, coating well. Sprinkle with the cracked black pepper. Return to the microwave for additional 20–30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave. Remove the bacon from the plate to cool.
- 8 slices Butterball® Turkey Bacon Crisps
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
Nashville Hot Honey Syrup
DirectionsCombine all the ingredients. Blend well.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar, brown
- 1 tbsp West Creek® Hot Sauce